Outlook - Force Save of ZIP Files
The following steps are intended to configure Microsoft Outlook so that any ZIP files attached to emails must be saved to disk, they cannot be opened directly in Outlook. And the save dialog will also warn about the danger of unknown ZIP files. Saving to disks provides time for the file to be 'scanned' by a good anti-virus product
- Click "Start" and in the search/command box enter 'regedit' and click "OK"
- Locate and click the following key in the registry
- Outlook 2000 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Security
- Outlook 2002 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security
- Outlook 2003 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security
- Outlook 2007 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security
- Outlook 2010 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security
- On the "Edit" menu select "New|String Value"
- Give this a name of "Level1Remove" and then 'Enter'
- Modify this entry and enter a value of ".zip". Multiple files can be added such as ".zip;.mdb" etc.
- Click "OK" and close regedit to complete